Online and mobile check-in
Reduce contact and skip the stress of queues. Get through the airport faster for a better travel experience.
Can I check in online?
Online check-in is open 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight. Please note, once you have checked in online you are unable to cancel your check-in. If you have checked in and you do not plan to fly, please contact us.
Travelling in New Zealand
- From 14 December 2021, you will need your My Vaccine Pass to check in online.
- If you don't have a My Vaccine Pass, you will need to check in at the airport. Remember to bring other proof of vaccination or official proof of a negative COVID test result taken within 72 hours of your flight departure
- If you have an international vaccine passport or certificate or other proof of vaccination, you will also need to check in at the airport.
- Due to border restrictions, online check-in for some international flights may not be available. If this is the case, check-in will need to be manually completed at the airport. Please make sure you give yourself plenty of time at the airport.
If you can't check in online, here are some possible reasons:
- Your passport details are not up-to-date
- You don't have the necessary visas
- There are border restrictions
- There are operational issues.
If you're not able to check in online, you'll need to check in at the airport so please allow some extra time.
Why should I check in online?
- Select your seat
You can still choose your seat when you check in online or on your mobile
- Receive your boarding pass by email
You can print it at home, or at the check-in kiosks at the airport. If you're in New Zealand, we can scan your emailed boarding pass from your phone
- Print bag tags yourself
If you're checking-in bags, head straight to a kiosk to print out your bag tags when you arrive at the airport. Then take your bags to the bag drop. Details on your flight's exact check-in timings are on your email or e-ticket. Note that these are closing times and they include dropping off your bags if you have them.
I need to check in at the airport
When to check in online
Online check in opens 24 hours before your flight. If you're checking in a bag, remember that you still have to tag and drop your bags before bag drop closes. You should also be at the departure gate on time with a suitable type of boarding pass for your flight.
Bag drop closes:
30 minutes before domestic New Zealand flights
60 minutes before international flights, except for flights departing from Sydney, London Heathrow and all US and Canadian airports when it closes 75 minutes before your flight departure
The iPhone and Apple Watch are trademarks of Apple Inc.
By downloading, installing or using the Air NZ mobile app you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
iOS: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Android: Requires Android 5.0 or later. This app is optimised for Android Phones.